Until I first tried the feta slaw at Zoe’s Kitchen, I’d only eaten the classic cole slaw. I absolutely loved the vinaigrette dressing and feta cheese in theirs! I never would’ve thought to put feta in cole slaw. Although I love their mayo-free version, I haven’t totally turned my back on the old school recipe. I recently decided to come up with my own take on the dish by pairing some elements from both recipes. I also added some delicious, sweet basil and chives to mine.
For this recipe, I decided to take a little help from the store and purchased a bag of pre-shredded cabbage from Trader Joe’s. If you decide to shred your own, you’ll need four cups of shredded cabbage. You could also use red cabbage or a bag of cole slaw mix if you prefer.
This Basil Feta Slaw would be perfect served alongside some grilled chicken or fish. It’s a great side dish for Spring and Summer because it can be tossed together in minutes and doesn’t require any cooking. Any side dish that doesn’t require cooking in the hot Summer months is a winner in my book! You will want to give this some time in the fridge before serving in order to let the flavors marry like any cole slaw.
Basil Feta Cole Slaw
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp sour cream (organic, if possible)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 4 cups shredded cabbage ( or 1 one 10 oz. bag of pre-shredded cabbage)
- 2 tbsp basil chiffonade
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the mayo, sour cream, red wine vinegar and chives.
- Add the shredded cabbage and basil to a large bowl, pour the dressing over it and mix to combine. Add the feta cheese and gently toss together. Check seasoning and add sea salt if necesary. Let chill for 4-6 hours before serving.