With a crispy golden and delicious crust, this Hash Brown Frittata with Spinach is a tasty breakfast or brunch idea.
It’s a healthy frittata recipe that is perfect for weekends! You’ve got an easy one-skillet meal that includes your protein, carbs and veggies!
Hash browns are one of my favorite breakfast foods. I could probably eat them just about every day and not get tired of them. This recipe gives me those crispy hash browns I love so much and my protein and veggie all in one pan! One less dish to wash is always a welcome thing!
This Hash Brown Frittata would make an easy Christmas breakfast for your family and extra guests who might be staying with you over the holidays. Serve it with a little fresh fruit on the side to round out the meal.
I used some finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for my frittata, but you could also use Grana Padano cheese. It’s slightly cheaper at some stores and tastes similar. If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they sell Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for an affordable price.
How to Make a Hash Brown Frittata
- After shredding potato, you need to place the shredded potato into a tea towel or layer of paper towels and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Place into a pre-heated skillet and spread into even layer. Using a spatula, gently press down on potato, then let cook, without touching, until golden brown on bottom. Then, flip a let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
How Long to Cook a Frittata
After you pour the eggs into the skillet, let cook a minute or two until the eggs begin to set around the edges.
Place into your pre-heated oven and bake until the middle of the frittata is just set, about 15-20 minutes. Cook times may vary depending on size of skillet used.
Hash Brown Frittata with Spinach
With a crispy golden and delicious crust, this Hash Brown Frittata with Spinach is a tasty breakfast or brunch idea. It’s a healthy one-skillet meal that is perfect for leisurely weekends!
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt, divided
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 (16-ounce) bag of frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan or Grana Padano cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
Squeeze as much water out of the defrosted spinach as possible, then set aside.
Place the shredded potato in a tea towel or a couple of layers of paper towels and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Place into bowl, add garlic powder, onion powder and 1/2 tsp of sea salt, then toss together.
Heat the ghee or oil of choice in a 10.5-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the potato to the skillet, spread it out into an even layer and press down over the entire surface with a spatula. Let cook, without disturbing, until bottom is golden brown. Flip and let cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the spinach and cheese and remaining 1/4 tsp of sea salt and gently whisk until combined.
Once the flipped hash browns have cooked for 2-3 minutes, pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Let cook until the edges of the eggs have begun to set. Place into heated oven and cook until the center is just set, about 15-20 minutes.
Let cool for about 5 minutes, then cut and serve.
- If using frozen hash browns, let thaw and drain before adding to the skillet.
- Cook times may vary depending on size of skillet used. Start checking at the 15-minute mark.
- This Hash Brown Fritta with Spinach can serve up to six people. It's best served fresh, so that you retain the crispiness of the hash browns. Reheats well in the microwave, but you won't have that delicious crispy crust.
- If your burner doesn't cook evenly like mine, you may want to rotate the skillet in order to make sure all of the potato gets nice and crispy.
- You can use either coarsely shred the potato using a handheld grater or the grater attachment on your food processor.
Estimated Nutrition Calculator