This Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is super simple to make and is the perfect Fall comfort food!
In life and in cooking, sometimes the best things are the simplest things. This Butternut Squash Soup is seriously one of the most comforting and delicious dishes to eat during the Fall and Winter months. It would also make a great addition to your Thanksgiving dinner menu!
How To Make Butternut Squash Soup
Most butternut squash soup recipes call for heavy cream, but I make mine without it. I do like to garnish it with a little sour cream when serving to add a bit of tang, but that’s optional.
- Chop your butternut squash into 1-inch chunks before adding them to the crockpot.
- Cook the onions until softened, then add them to the crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and cook until the squash is tender. This will take between 6-7 hours on high and 4-5 hours on low.
- To puree the soup, use an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender and process until smooth. You might need to work in batches if using a blender.
My favorite herb to pair with butternut squash is sage. They compliment each so well. Here I’ve used a combination of dried sage and thyme. They add a subtle savory flavor to the soup. I’ve also added a bit of cayenne for a tiny bit of kick. Nothing pronounced, just that heat you can feel in the back of your throat. It helps to balance the sweetness of the butternut squash.
How long will butternut squash soup keep?
This Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge or for 4-6 months in the freezer. To freeze, let cool completely, transfer to air-tight freezer containers or freezer bags and place in freezer.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
This Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup is super easy to make and is the perfect Fall comfort food.
- 1 tbsp Ghee or butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2.5 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp fine sea salt, or salt to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock (I used Imagine Organic stock)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp ground cayenne (or to heat preference)
Add the butternut squash chunks to the slow cooker.
Heat a 10.5 inch skillet over medium heat, melt the ghee or butter add onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer them to the slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients and stir together. Cover and cook until butternut squash is tender, about 6 to 7 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
Using either an immersion blender or blender, puree the soup until smooth. If using a blender, you may need to work in batches. Be very careful when using a blender to puree hot soups.
Check seasonings, add salt if needed. Garnish with sour cream and chives if desired and serve.
This Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge or for 4-6 months in the freezer. To freeze, let cool completely, transfer to air-tight freezer containers or freezer bags and place in freezer.<br /><br />Estimated Nutrition Facts: