On a recent trip to our local butcher shop, I purchased some all natural cubed ham. It’s not something that I commonly eat, but every now and then I get a craving for it. I had originally intended to cook up a pot of navy beans with ham, but I decided to scrap that idea and use it to make a breakfast dish.
We eat eggs pretty much every day, so keeping it interesting is an absolute must. Ham and eggs together are a classic combination that has been around forever. The saltiness of the ham paired with the mozzarella cheese, and the hint of oniony flavor from the green onions is total deliciousness.
There are only a handful of ingredients, so this is super easy to throw together and pop in the oven. Short on ingredients, but big on flavor. LOVE those kind of recipes! You just toss all of the ingredients into a baking dish, add the eggs, gently stir to combine, and pop it in the oven. Easy peasy!
I made this Ham and Mozzarella Egg Bake ahead of time, so that we would have two days worth of breakfast all ready to go. I baked it in a Pyrex dish that has a lid for storing, so when it had completely cooled, I just popped the lid on and put it in the fridge. No need to transfer and dirty up another dish! I wash a LOT of dishes, so this makes me super happy. 🙂 The only thing that makes me a little sad is that it’s long gone.
Ham and Mozzarella Egg Bake
- butter for greasing baking pan
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 chopped green onions
- 6 large eggs , beaten
- 2 tbsp heavy cream (or half & half)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or salt to taste), plus black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish with butter.
- Layer the ham, cheese and green onions in the baking dish. In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs, heavy cream and salt and pepper together until blended. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the baking dish. Using a fork, gently stir until the egg has coated all of the ingredients.
- Place in your preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the eggs have just set. Let cool for a few minutes and serve.