I make frittata’s all the time because I enjoy eating them, but also because they are something that can be made ahead. I like to make sure that my husband always has a healthy breakfast in the morning, even we don’t get up at the same time. Plus, I don’t always feel like making breakfast first thing when I wake up. It takes 2 cups of coffee and about an hour before I’m fully awake. Trust me, you don’t want me making breakfast before I’ve had my morning coffee.
This Zucchini Onion and Jalapeno Frittata is a great way to get your protein, veggies and healthy fat all in one dish. I’d much rather have this than some breakfast sandwich I picked up in a drive-thru. Although, I’ll admit I do enjoy a tasty chicken biscuit from Chick-fil-A occasionally. It’s just not something that I would want to eat on a regular basis.
Frittata’s are also a great way to use up any veggies that you have left in the fridge. Sometimes, I have just one lonely zucchini in the fridge, so this is a great way to use it. I happened to also have a leftover jalapeno the other day, so I chopped that up and threw that in as well. The sour cream adds a nice flavor and texture to the dish that I really enjoy.
Zucchini Onion and Jalapeño Frittata
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini , chopped into 1/2 diced pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion , diced
- 1 small jalapeno , minced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 8 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof 10-inch skillet over medium high heat, add the onions and cook until they have begun to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and jalapenos and cook them for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the zucchini is golden brown, add the garlic and season with salt and pepper, cook for 1 minute.
- While the veggies are cooking, whisk the eggs and sour cream together and season with salt and pepper. Add the egg mixture to the skillet and stir gently to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let cook until the bottom and edges have set.
- Place into the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until eggs have set.