I hope you all had a great Valentine’s Day weekend! My husband and I didn’t go out to dinner on Saturday because we knew the restaurants would be super crowded. A crowded, noisy restaurant just doesn’t seem very romantic to me. We both prefer to go out to a restaurant on a weekday and be able to enjoy dinner together. The plan is to go out and celebrate one day this week.
We were blessed with gorgeous, warm weather for the day, so I got in a 7 mile run on Saturday. Forget the box of chocolates, I’ll take being able to wear shorts in February over that any day. 🙂
However, the weather has once again turned gloomy and chilly as of last night. The trees in our area are so confused. There are some that are blooming and some that have buds beginning to appear. It’s like, just pick a season already! Preferably Spring, okay?
This Mexican Chicken Soup makes a tasty and simple lunch or dinner dish. I used regular ground chicken, but you could sub ground chicken breast, if you prefer. The lime sour cream really makes this dish. It just adds a delicious creaminess to the soup. I used the Eden Organic Cannellini Beans, which don’t have any salt, so I decided to skip the draining and rinsing of the beans. Plus, I kind of like that it gives the soup a little thicker consistency. It’s totally up to you if you want to drain your beans. You may need to add a bit of extra liquid if you do.
The salsa I used was Trader Joe’s Organic Tomatillo Roasted Yellow Chili Salsa. I really like the flavor and think it’s quite a bargain at $2.29. If you have another favorite salsa, you could certainly use that instead. I just wouldn’t go with a really hot salsa for this, especially if kids will be eating it. With the TJ’s salsa, it wasn’t spicy at all.
I buy bags of frozen organic sweet corn from TJ’s also. Almost all the of corn produced in the US is genetically modified, so it’s best to buy organic when possible. Trader Joe’s frozen organic sweet corn is USDA certified organic.
Mexican Chicken Soup with Beans
Lime Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh lime juice (about half a large lime)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- dash of cayenne
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1.25 lbs . ground chicken
- 1 large white onion , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 small/med. jalapeno , minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups chicken stock ( I used regular- may need to adjust salt if using low sodium)
- 1 cup salsa (mild to medium in heat level, such as Trader Joe's Organic Tomatillo Roasted Yellow Chili Salsa)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of cannellini beans (or whatever white beans you have on hand)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (no need to defrost)
- 1/2 a 16 oz. bag of frozen chopped spinach (no need to defrost)
- Optional add-ins:
- fresh jalapeno slices
- extra lime juice
- chopped fresh cilantro
Lime Sour Cream
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate while you make the soup.
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken, and cook crumbling with the back of a spoon while it browns, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the onions, and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno, garlic, cumin and sea salt to the pot, stir and let cook for a minute more.
- Pour in the chicken stock, salsa and beans and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the corn and spinach, stir, return to a simmer, and let cook until heated through. Ladle into bowls and serve with dollops of lime sour cream.
Posts contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will remain the same, but I earn a small commission. This helps to cover the costs of this site. Thanks for your support!
Leave a Reply