This is a new spin on the classic Tuna with Cannellini bean dish that I make on fairly regular basis at our house. I really enjoy that version, but I also like to switch up the ingredients occasionally to keep things interesting.
I thought that a little baby spinach would make a tasty and nutritious addition to the salad. I normally go with a red wine vinegar for the salad dressing, but I decided to try a balsamic vinaigrette today.
I really enjoyed the addition of spinach to the salad, and the different tang that the balsamic vinegar brought to the dish. This makes either 2 main course or 4 side dish servings.
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt , or salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (4.5 oz) cans solid light tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups (loosely packed) baby spinach, chopped
In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
In a medium bowl, add the red onions, beans, flaked tuna, and spinach. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve at room temperature.