White Bean and Kale Soup
Salty pancetta adds a ton of flavor to this delicious White Bean and Kale Soup! Canned beans are the key to getting this on the dinner table quickly.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tsp . extra-virgin olive oil
- 4-6 oz . pancetta , diced into small cubes (depending on how much you want to use)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 4 large cloves of garlic , minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2-3 cups of water , depending on how soupy you want it
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 (15 oz) can of Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch of lacinato kale (also known as Tuscan kale), stemmed and roughly chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
In a 5-quart dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and place onto paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of grease.
Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot, and let cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
Stir in the chicken stock, water, beans, pancetta, dried thyme and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until kale is tender, about twenty minutes. Add fresh rosemary, sea salt and pepper to taste, then serve.
If you happen to have a parmesan rind on hand, you can add it to the soup along with the beans and rest of ingredients.
Estimated Nutrition Facts: