Chili con Carne
Chili con Carne is a classic Tex-Mex dish featuring a thick, rich and spicy sauce that is so incredibly delicious! Serve it over rice, with crushed tortilla chips or cornbread.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used a 90/10 ratio)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium fresh jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 tbsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fine sea salt (or salt to taste)
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 cups cooked black beans or 2 (15oz cans), drained and rinsed
- thinly sliced green onions
- sour cream
- organic corn tortilla chips
- chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
In a 4-quart dutch oven or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the ground beef and brown the meat, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula as it cooks. Add the garlic, spices and salt and toss to coat the meat and let cook for 1 minute.
Pour in the tomato sauce and water. Add the beans and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened slightly, about thirty minutes. Serve it over rice or just with your favorite chili toppings.
If your chili powder is more pungent and spicier, you might want to cut back on the amount you use in this recipe.
Estimated Nutrition Facts: