Southwestern Quinoa and Black Beans
This Southwestern Quinoa and Black Beans recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes and doubles as a healthy side dish or light main course for lunch!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 -6
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed if desired, finely chopped
- 3 small cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt or to taste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa (rinsed if not pre-rinsed kind)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cups frozen sweet corn (no need to defrost)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice or to taste (about 1/2 large lime)
Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers to the pan, and let cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, onion powder and cumin to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the quinoa, black beans, corn, salt and water to the pan and stir together.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the cilantro and lime juice to taste. Mix together, check seasonings, adjust if necessary and serve.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 319mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1185IU | Vitamin C: 29.7mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 2.1mg