Pancetta, Pasta and Peas
Adapted from Sunny Anderson's Pasta, Pancetta and Peas recipe on Food Network.
Servings 4 -6
- 2 1/2 cups of rotini or fusilli pasta (or another small pasta like bowtie)
- 1/2 lb . pancetta , cut into small cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups of frozen peas , defrosted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano , plus more for serving
- Optional finishing add-ins:
- freshly chopped basil
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Add sea salt and pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve one cup of water and drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the pancetta and saute' until crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Drain all but 2 tbsp of the grease, add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the peas and garlic and let cook for another 3 minutes. Add the pasta, pancetta, parmesan cheese and gently toss to combine, adding (a little at a time) some of the reserved pasta water, until pasta is moistened. Serve with extra parmesan cheese.