Butternut Squash Stew with Andouille and Quinoa
Sweet, savory and spicy flavors make up this Butternut Squash Stew with Andouille and Quinoa. It's the perfect dish to warm you up in the chilly months!
Prep Time 12 minutes
Cook Time 31 minutes
Total Time 43 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 medium white onion , diced
- 1 large green bell pepper , diced
- 1 (12 oz.) package of andouille sausage, sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock or water
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash (about 2.5 lbs)
- 1 cup of quinoa , rinsed if not pre-rinsed kind)
- sea salt to taste
In a 4-qt. dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the andouille sausage and, let cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes. Stir in the seasonings and cook for another minute. Pour in the chicken stock or water, add the butternut squash and (rinsed) quinoa, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until butternut squash is tender and the quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Check seasonings, adjust if necessary, then serve.
1.For 4 cups of cubed butternut squash, you will need about a 2.5 lb. squash.
2.This stew will thicken up more as it sits. If you have leftovers, add a little more stock or water until you reach your desired consistency.
Estimated Nutrition Facts: