One-Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
Super flavorful and delicious, this Italian Sausage Pasta is a one-pot meal that your whole family will love!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tbsp . olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian chicken sausage (if using links, remove from casing prior to adding to pan)
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups of water
- 1 (15-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of macaroni noodles (I recommend Jovial Foods brown rice pasta for a gluten-free dish)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup frozen green peas , defrosted
- sea salt to taste
- For garnish:
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Heat oil in a 10.5-inch skillet that has a lid over medium-high heat. Add sausage, breaking it up with a spoon as it browns, about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the red pepper flakes, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and stir until the meat mixture is fully coated.
Stir in water, tomato sauce and pasta. Reduce heat, cover and let cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Cook time may vary depending on brand and type of pasta, so check for doneness often starting at the 15 minute mark.
Turn off the heat. Add the peas and one cup of the cheese and gently stir to combine. Season to taste with sea salt, top with remaining cheese and parsley, then serve.
1.The salt content of sausage can vary, so keep this in mind when adding salt.
2.It's very important that you stir occasionally so that the pasta doesn't stick.
3.Ingredients vary from brand to brand of chicken sausage. I use pasture-raised chicken sausage from my butcher, which doesn't have nutrition info. The estimates below were based on Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Italian Chicken Sausage.
Estimated Nutrition Facts: