My Vegetarian Chili recipe includes three different types of beans, poblano peppers and tomatoes. It’s a flavorful and hearty meatless meal that even meat eaters will enjoy!
This Vegetarian Chili recipe could not be any simpler to make and can be on your dinner table in about thirty minutes. If you want, you could serve over some cooked brown rice or make a pan of Skillet Cornbread while the chili cooks.
If you don’t happen to like one of the varieties of beans I used, just substitute an extra can of one or the other. Or, you could just use one type period. Totally up to you! Also, I used the Westbrae brand of beans, which are low-sodium.
Even though this Vegetarian Chili recipe contains no meat, it is super filling. Trust me, I’m no vegetarian or vegan, and I felt satisfied after a bowl of this. That’s saying something because most vegetarian dishes don’t leave me satisfied at all. Serve it with some Skillet Cornbread for an especially hearty meal!
Easy Vegetarian Chili
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 large poblano peppers , diced
- 2 tbsp , plus 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt or salt to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of water (you can use less if you want a really thick chili)
- 1 (15 oz) can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional garnishes:
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar or monterrey jack cheese
- additional chopped cilantro
- splash of fresh lime juice
- diced avocado
- In a 4 quart soup pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat, add the veggies and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7-8 minutes. Stir in all of the seasonings and cook for another thirty seconds. Pour in the tomatoes, water and beans and stir together. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stir in the chopped cilantro, then serve topped with your choice of garnishes.
Leave a Reply