A meatless but hearty meal that can be yours even on a busy weeknight!
Need a super easy vegetarian chili recipe? Well, here you go! This dish could not be any simpler to make and can be on your dinner table in about thirty minutes. If you want, you could serve over some cooked brown rice or make a pan of Skillet Cornbread while the chili cooks.
I chose to use three different types of beans for my vegetarian chili. If you don’t happen to like one of the varieties I used, just substitute an extra can of one or the other. Or, you could just use one type period. Totally up to you!
I prefer a little thinner consistency when it comes to my chili, but if you prefer a thick one, just add less water to the pot. I personally love to dip my cornbread into mine.
Even though this chili contains no meat, it is super filling. Trust me, I’m no vegetarian or vegan, and I felt satisfied after a bowl of this. That’s saying something because most vegetarian dishes don’t leave me satisfied at all.
Easy Vegetarian Chili
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 large poblano peppers , diced
- 2 tbsp , plus 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt or salt to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of water (you can use less if you want a really thick chili)
- 1 (15 oz) can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional garnishes:
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar or monterrey jack cheese
- additional chopped cilantro
- splash of fresh lime juice
- diced avocado
In a 4 quart soup pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat, add the veggies and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in all of the seasonings and cook for another thirty seconds. Pour in the tomatoes, water and beans and stir together. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stir in the chopped cilantro, then serve topped with your choice of garnishes.