It’s hard to believe that Summer is almost over. Where did the time go?! It’s already starting to get dark earlier, and I really hate that. I made this for dinner on Sunday night, and I thought that I would still have plenty of natural light to get some photos, but that didn’t happen. It was eight o’clock and the light was pretty much gone already. 🙁
I used to not be a fan of eggplant. I just couldn’t get past the texture of it. Then, I started peeling it prior to cooking and now, I actually enjoy it. Good thing, because my husband loves eggplant!
Roasted Ratatouille with Sausage
- 1 medium eggplant , ends trimmed, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper , cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium red onions , cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 small/med zucchini , ends trimmed, cut into quarters lengthwise, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 cloves of garlic , peeled (about a whole small head)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt (I used Redmond Real Salt Garlic Salt)
- 1 lb italian chicken sausage (you can use hot or sweet)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 (14.5oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, add all of the vegetables. Pour the olive oil over the veggies, sprinkle with the garlic salt and toss to coat. Place in the oven and bake until lightly browned and tender, about 45 minutes. About 10-15 minutes before the veggies are done, you will want to start browning the chicken sausage. Heat 1 tsp of coconut (or olive) oil in a large skillet. Add the sausage and begin breaking it up as it browns. When the sausage is browned, add the tomatoes, roasted vegetables and fresh basil to the pan and toss to combine. Check the seasonings and adjust if necessary.
Recipe Notes*Cooking times may vary depending on your oven.
You could also serve this over rice, pasta or couscous, if desired. This would be a great way to stretch a pound of meat and veggies to make enough for six people!