It is forty seven degrees, and raining here today. Oh, and it’s May. In Texas. Last week, I was wearing shorts. Gotta love the crazy Texas weather! So, what does a cold, rainy day call for? I think it calls for a nice, big bowl of hot soup and cornbread. I personally like soup any time of the year, but it is especially nice on a day like this.
This red bean and sausage soup is one of my favorites. I use smoked turkey sausage to cut down on the amount of fat. This a very tasty and simple soup to make. You just throw everything into a slow cooker, let it do all the work for you.
What you will need.
Dried red beans (soaked overnight or for 8 hours), chicken stock, smoked turkey sausage, one medium potato, carrots, celery, large red onion, garlic, creole seasoning, onion powder.
Optional garnishes: cajun pepper sauce, and chopped parsley.
Chop up three carrots, and three stalks of celery.
Next, chop the red onion and five cloves of garlic.
Peel and dice one medium russet potato.
In a four quart slow cooker, add the red beans.
Add the carrots, onions, celery, and garlic to the slow cooker.
Add the diced potatoes.
Chop up the turkey sausage.
Add the turkey sausage to the slow cooker.
Next, add one tablespoon of creole seasoning (I used Tony Chachere’s original creole seasoning), and half a teaspoon of onion powder.
Add 5 cups of chicken stock. I used one 32 oz box of chicken stock…
…plus one 8 oz box of stock.
Place the lid onto the slow cooker, and set it on high. Cook on high for 5 hours.
Check the seasonings, and adjust if necessary. I don’t add salt in the beginning because the creole seasoning, turkey sausage, and chicken stock all contain sodium. Remember, you can always add, but you can’t take away.
Red Bean & Sausage Soup
- 1 Cup dried red beans , soaked overnight or for 8 hours
- 7 Ounce smoked turkey sausage , cut into 1/2 dice
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 3 stalks of celery , chopped
- 1 medium russet potato , diced
- 5 cloves of garlic , chopped
- 1 large red onion , chopped
- 5 Cup chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon creole seasoning (such as Tony Chachere)
- 1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
- Optional garnishes cajun pepper sauce , chopped parsley
- In a four quart slow cooker, add the first ten ingredients. Cook on high for five hours. Check seasonings, and adjust if necessary. Serve with cornbread.