I recently came across a Paleo Spinach Pesto over at one of my new favorite food blogs, Multiply Delicious. I loved her pesto recipe, and decided to create a version of my own. The author of this blog follows a Paleo diet, so her more current recipes are based on those guidelines. Strict followers of this particular diet don’t consume nuts or dairy, so the original recipe pesto recipe didn’t include either one of those ingredients. In order to keep this Paleo friendly, I’ve done the same. While we aren’t following the Paleo diet, we have almost completely eliminated any grains (another item not consumed on the Paleo diet) from our meals, and that is why I have using so many Paleo recipes in my cooking.
Look at the gorgeous green color of this pesto!
I think this would be great served with some zucchini noodles, but I decided to serve it as a sauce on top of my Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes.
So.Good. The herby, lemony flavor was the perfect compliment to the salmon cakes.
Hope you enjoy!
Are you following a Paleo or grain-free diet? If so, have you seen any improvements in your health?
Paleo Spinach Basil Cilantro Pesto
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1 small clove garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 3 to 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, add the spinach, basil, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Turn food processor on and add the olive oil while processing, until completely blended.