I can’t even begin to tell you how much my husband and I loved these Mini Frittatas! They are the perfect make-ahead breakfast because they re-heat so well. Plus, they couldn’t be easier to make. It was so nice to have these in the fridge ready to go for a healthy breakfast or a snack.
The smoked mozzarella adds a tasty, bacon-like flavor. Bacon flavor without the extra step and mess of frying bacon? Yes, please. If you haven’t tried smoked mozzarella, then you need to get some right away! I used the Rumiano brand of cheese that I picked up on one of our last trips to Natural Grocers.
You could always use a different type of cheese in these frittatas if you aren’t a fan of smoked cheese. I just loved it in this particular recipe. Let’s face it, if you eat a lot of eggs, it’s always great to find new ways to flavor them. They can get a little boring if you eat them the same way day in and day out.
Since these do re-heat so well, they would make a great dish to serve for a Christmas breakfast or brunch. You could make a double batch if you have several guests staying with you. I think both kids and adults alike will absolutely love these.
- butter for greasing muffin pan
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeno , minced, ribs and seeds removed if preferred
- 1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt , plus black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 10 muffins cups with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together until combined. Add the cheese, onions, peppers, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Equally distribute the mixture into the muffin cups and place into the oven. Bake until the eggs have just set, about 20-22 minutes. Let cool on baking rack for 5 minutes, then serve.