No-cook recipes are my favorite for lunchtime meals, especially in the hot summer months. They are super simple, and quick to get on the table. My Tuna with Cannellini Bean recipe is one of my all-time faves. We have it so often that I decided it was time to jazz it up a little for today’s lunch. I like both of the recipes, but my husband liked this version a little better.
The ingredients I used:
Two (4.5 oz) cans of solid light tuna in olive oil, one (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, garlic, kalamata olives, piquante peppers, pepperoncini, extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
Add the 1/4 cup of finely chopped red onion to the bowl. Grate one clove of garlic into the bowl.
Mix together and let sit for five minutes.
Meanwhile, drain two cans of tuna and place into a large bowl. Flake gently with a fork.
Drain and rinse the can of cannellini beans and add them to the bowl.
Finely chop two tablespoons each of kalamata olives and peperoncini peppers. Finely chop two whole piquante peppers. Add these to the bowl with the tuna and beans.
Add the dressing.
Mix gently to combine.
Check seasonings and adjust if necessary. I added a little more black pepper and a dash of salt.
Gently mix again. Serve at room temperature.
Mediterranean Tuna & Cannellini Bean Salad
- 3 tbsp . extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp . fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp . dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 (4.5 oz) cans solid light tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp . finely chopped kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp . finely chopped pepperoncini
- 2 piquante peppers , finely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Grate the garlic into the bowl, add the red onion, stir to combine and let sit for five minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the tuna, cannellini beans, olives,pepperoncini, and piquante peppers.
- Gently mix to combine. Check seasonings and adjust to suit your taste.