Coming up with new variations of this classic sandwich is something that I love to do. My Mediterranean version is definitely a new favorite! This chicken salad features sweet piquante peppers, which are soooo delicious paired with the salty kalamata olives and feta cheese in this sandwich. My husband, who hates cucumbers, really liked this sandwich too. He actually said that the cucumbers were a nice addition to the sandwich. Yay!
I have been obsessed with sweet piquante peppers since I had them on the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich at Panera Bread. I loved that sandwich so much that I created a sandwich wrap at home using those same flavors. The result was a MUCH lower carb, non-vegetarian Mediterranean Turkey Wrap. I really like to have a little protein on my sandwiches because it helps me to stay full longer.
Anyway, back to the chicken salad.
I used canned white meat chicken because that is what I had on hand, and because I just love the convenience of it for lunchtime meals. I served mine on Nature’s Own Sandwich Rounds. As usual, I substituted half of the mayo with plain, non-fat greek yogurt to cut down on the fat.
This will definitely be on the lunch menu again in the near future!
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- 1 (12.5 oz.) can of chicken breast, drained and gently flaked (I used Valley Fresh 100% Natural)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 6 kalamata olives , finely chopped
- 4 sweet piquante peppers , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp . finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp . finely crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tbsp . low-fat mayo
- 3 tbsp . plain non-fat greek yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 4 thin burger buns ( I used Nature's Own Sandwich Rounds)
- 16 thin cucumber slices
- In a medium bowl, add the first 10 ingredients and stir to combine. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Let chill for one hour before serving to allow the flavors a chance to marry. Place four cucumber slices onto the bottom buns. Spoon one-fourth of the chicken salad on top of each one and finish with top bun.