Busy mornings call for easy and quick breakfast ideas. These Einkorn Cottage Cheese Jalapeño Muffins make a healthy and portable breakfast!
This original recipe for these einkorn muffins first appeared here on the blog back in 2015. While I enjoyed that one, I’ve tweaked it just slightly over the dozens of times I’ve made these for us. Plus, I’ve experimented with different seasonings, so you don’t have to necessarily put jalapeños or scallions in yours. You could have dill and chive muffins instead. It’s all up to you.
I’m sure at least some of you have kids that are back in school as of last week or are going to be starting soon. That usually means early mornings with little time for breakfast. Instead of hitting up a drive-thru, how about serving these savory muffins? These reheat really well in the microwave.
What’s Einkorn Flour?
These muffins are made with Einkorn flour, which is the world’s most ancient wheat. Because the gluten in einkorn does not have the high molecular weight proteins that many people can’t digest, it is tolerated by some people with gluten sensitivity. Those with celiac disease should still avoid because it does contain gluten.
How Much Protein Is In Einkorn Flour?
Einkorn has 40% more protein and 15% less starch than commercial wheat, plus abundant B Vitamins and trace minerals like iron. Einkorn is packed with more nutrients, vitamins, and dietary minerals than regular wheat.
The cottage cheese not only provides a boost of yummy flavor and protein, but also helps to keep these muffins nice and moist. Which is exactly what you want in a muffin. I buy the Kalona Supernatural brand of cottage cheese, which is grass-fed and has a good ingredient list.
- Do NOT substitute Einkorn whole grain flour for the all-purpose flour. The whole grain, which is ground from whole wheat berries, absorbs more liquid than the all-purpose.
- I use the If You Care. brand of large baking cups when I make these. I’ve never had any problem with these muffins sticking to the liners and just love them.
- If you want to make these gluten-free, you can substitute oat flour at a 1:1 ratio for the einkorn flour. I buy old fashioned oats and grind them into a powder in my food processor. It’s a much better deal than buying oat flour, and I can use it to make oatmeal.
- I buy the Jovial Foods brand of all-purpose Einkorn flour. You can find this at Natural Grocers and Whole Foods.
Einkorn Cottage Cheese, Jalapeno Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose einkorn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 cup whole milk cottage cheese (organic if possible)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 medium jalapeno , ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 scallions , finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and sea salt together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and cottage cheese together. Add the jalapeños and scallions and whisk until combined. Pour the wet mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients, then gently fold the flour into the egg mixture with a stiff spatula until it's smooth.
- Place 8 baking cups (or grease 8 muffin slots with butter) into the slots of a 12 cup muffin pan. Evenly portion the batter out into each cup.
- Place into your preheated oven and bake until the tops begin to turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes.
Posts contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will remain the same, but I earn a small commission. This helps to cover the costs of this site. Thanks for your support!