Busy mornings call for easy and quick breakfast ideas. These Einkorn Cottage Cheese Jalapeño Muffins make a healthy and portable breakfast!
This original recipe for these einkorn muffins first appeared here on the blog back in 2015. While I enjoyed that one, I’ve tweaked it just slightly over the dozens of times I’ve made these for us. Plus, I’ve experimented with different seasonings, so you don’t have to necessarily put jalapeños or scallions in yours. You could have dill and chive muffins instead. It’s all up to you.
I’m sure at least some of you have kids that are back in school as of last week or are going to be starting soon. That usually means early mornings with little time for breakfast. Instead of hitting up a drive-thru, how about serving these savory muffins? These reheat really well in the microwave.
What’s Einkorn Flour?
These muffins are made with Einkorn flour, which is the world’s most ancient wheat. Because the gluten in einkorn does not have the high molecular weight proteins that many people can’t digest, it is tolerated by some people with gluten sensitivity. Those with celiac disease should still avoid because it does contain gluten.
How Much Protein Is In Einkorn Flour?
Einkorn has 40% more protein and 15% less starch than commercial wheat, plus abundant B Vitamins and trace minerals like iron. Einkorn is packed with more nutrients, vitamins, and dietary minerals than regular wheat.
The cottage cheese not only provides a boost of yummy flavor and protein, but also helps to keep these muffins nice and moist. Which is exactly what you want in a muffin. I buy the Kalona Supernatural brand of cottage cheese, which is grass-fed and has a good ingredient list.
- Do NOT substitute Einkorn whole grain flour for the all-purpose flour. The whole grain, which is ground from whole wheat berries, absorbs more liquid than the all-purpose.
- I use the If You Care. brand of large baking cups when I make these. I’ve never had any problem with these muffins sticking to the liners and just love them.
- If you want to make these gluten-free, you can substitute oat flour at a 1:1 ratio for the einkorn flour. I buy old fashioned oats and grind them into a powder in my food processor. It’s a much better deal than buying oat flour, and I can use it to make oatmeal.
- I buy the Jovial Foods brand of all-purpose Einkorn flour. You can find this at Natural Grocers and Whole Foods.
Einkorn Cottage Cheese, Jalapeno Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose einkorn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 cup whole milk cottage cheese (organic if possible)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 medium jalapeno , ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 scallions , finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and sea salt together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and cottage cheese together. Add the jalapeños and scallions and whisk until combined. Pour the wet mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients, then gently fold the flour into the egg mixture with a stiff spatula until it's smooth.
- Place 8 baking cups (or grease 8 muffin slots with butter) into the slots of a 12 cup muffin pan. Evenly portion the batter out into each cup.
- Place into your preheated oven and bake until the tops begin to turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes.
Posts contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will remain the same, but I earn a small commission. This helps to cover the costs of this site. Thanks for your support!
These muffins sound incredible. Love the addition of cottage cheese and jalapeños.
Thanks, Judy! The cottage cheese really does add great flavor and texture to the muffins!
Claudia | Gourmet Project
they look so fluffy, and delish, gonna try!
Thanks, Claudia! Hope you like them!
These sound so tasty! I love that you used cottage cheese in the muffins – what a healthy bonus! I can’t wait to make a batch – bet they are delicious ANY time of day 🙂
I had them for breakfast and a snack, so yeah, they really are great any time! 🙂
You mentioned Not substituting for regular flour because it would absorb more liquid, but what if we reduce the amount of regular flour, or, in turn, increase liquid. Would it work? I like these muffins a lot and I like the use of the cottage cheese, but I don’t have that special flour…
Hi Julia! This is a tip from the Jovial Foods website on baking with Einkorn flour:
“Einkorn may be substituted cup for cup with regular whole wheat flour in some muffin, pancake, cakes and cookie recipes. However, sometimes, the amount of liquid in the recipe needs to be reduced by roughly 15-20%.”
I really haven’t experimented with substituting whole wheat flour for Einkorn yet, but perhaps increasing the amount of liquid would work.
My husband likes spicy things….so he will love these.
I absolutely love spicy foods, too! Hope you enjoy!
MyCookingSerects.com Krystallia Giamouridou
Your muffins look so yummy and fluffy, I couldn’t believe that the cottage cheese was so well incorporated… Thank you for sharing.
Thanks! It really is amazing how great cottage cheese is in baked dishes!
Levan @ CrazyVeganKitchen.com
Sinfully, I love jalapenos (LOvE THEM!) but never used them in muffins before. I know, I’m missing out! Thanks for sharing this! I shall try making a vegan version of this! 🙂
Huge fan of them, too! You definitely have to try them in muffins! 🙂
What a great use of cottage cheese!! I love the addition of the jalapeno .. these must be amazing!!!