Hey guys! I hope that you all had a happy Easter weekend! The weather put a damper on some activities around the DFW area on Sunday, but the weather on Saturday was just about as perfect as it could get. We hadn’t planned to go out for lunch, but the weather was just too nice to stay inside and eat. A late lunch on a restaurant patio was definitely called for! 🙂
If you are a fan of quinoa and eggs, you are really going to like today’s recipe! The inspiration for this dish comes from a recipe I found in The Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook. As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew that I wanted to recreate it to make it my own.
I used the TruRoots brand of sprouted quinoa in this recipe. You can also sprout your own, or just use regular quinoa for this dish. The reason I use sprouted quinoa is because it makes it easier to digest and increases the vitamin content. Same goes for legumes and seeds.
The cottage cheese gives baked egg dishes such an incredible texture, and a tangy flavor that I just love. Sour cream and yogurt are delicious too, but they don’t give you that same texture. I used cheddar cheese in mine, but this would also be great with any shredded Mexican blend cheese.
This Chile Rellenos Breakfast Casserole makes six servings, so it’s great for a family breakfast or brunch on the weekend. If it’s just you and your spouse, you could make this ahead and have three days worth of breakfasts ready to go for the week. I thought it actually tasted even better on the second and third day.
*Edited to add: If you’d like to use homemade chiles, I now have a tutorial on How to Roast Green Chiles on the blog!
Chile Rellenos Breakfast Casserole
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 8 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half & half
- Hot Sauce , to taste (such as Tabasco)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 (4 oz) can of diced green chiles, drained
- 1 tsp sea salt , plus pepper to taste
- In a small sauce pan, add water and quinoa and cook according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a baking dish with butter. (I used a 12 inch oval baker)
- While the quinoa is cooking, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, heavy cream and cottage cheese until well combined.
- Stir in the green chiles, hot sauce, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, 1 cup of the cheese and the cooked quinoa. Pour into the baking dish.
- Top with the rest of the cheese, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.