Spring doesn’t seem to be able to make up its mind about whether it wants to be here or not this year. On Wednesday, temps were in the mid 80’s, and then they dropped into the upper 30’s on Thursday when a cold front came through. It was a very windy, cold day with a little rain shower in the afternoon. When dinnertime rolled around, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. A nice big pot of chili.
Chicken Sweet Potato & Mushroom Chili
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken breast
- 1 large onion , diced
- 4 garlic cloved , minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion salt ( I used Redmond's Real Salt Garlic Salt)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes , finely diced (about 1/2 inch cubes)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add the ground chicken and begin breaking it up with a spoon as it browns, about 8 minutes. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add all of the seasonings and stir until the meat/onion mixture is well coated. Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken stock (or water) and sweet potatoes. Bring to a simmer. After about ten minutes, add in the mushrooms and continue cooking until sweet potatoes are tender, about ten more minutes. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary.